Known as a posh resort town at the turn of the century, beautiful Lakehurst became famous all over the world when the Hindenburg crashed on May 6, 1937. Thereafter, Lakehurst was known as "The Airship Capital of the World."
From 1919 until 1962, the United States Navy conducted its Lighter-than-Air Program at Lakehurst. Some of the largest machines created by men were launched into the air from the base at Lakehurst, which is also the home of the nation's first international airport.
Known as Manchester until 1921, Lakehurst had its beginnings in 1821, when Samuel Whittemore gave one square mile of land (640 acres) to his daughter, Adeline, and her husband, William Torrey. Torrey mapped the tract of land, while Adeline named most of the streets after trees.
The area rose as an industrial center during and following the Revolutionary War. It was the site of Federal Forge, a major producer of iron products, including cannon balls for Washington's troops. A Rope Mill was powered by an elaborate water flume which ran underground from nearby Lake Horicon to the factory. The town had a railroad roundhouse, turntable, maintenance shops, and boiler shops.
The Luxurious Blue Comet train stopped at Lakehurst, delivering passengers to the stately Pine Tree Inn, a resort of considerable fame in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Though most of the sites are gone, visitors to Lakehurst can still see Hangar One, a National Historic Landmark recalling the crash of the Hindenburg. The Borough of Lakehurst Historical Society conducts Walking Tours around the town, its knowledgeable staff pointing out interesting sites and telling stories of the past.
Lakehurst NJ 08733